Place your speakers using the following guidelines, and then run the ADAPTiQ audio calibration system. This simple automated process takes only 10 minutes (see instructions below). Then sit back and enjoy movies and music with the assurance that your system is delivering a Bose® quality performance specifically tailored to your room.
Speaker placement and ADAPTiQ® audio calibration system guidelines
- Lifestyle® 38 Series III DVD 家庭娛樂系統
- Lifestyle® 48 Series IV DVD 家庭娛樂系統
- Lifestyle® 38 Series IV DVD 家庭娛樂系統
- Lifestyle® 35 Series IV DVD 家庭娛樂系統
Placing your home theater system and speakers
These guidelines are suggestions for creating the audio atmosphere of a home theater. We also recommend experimenting with speaker placement and orientation to achieve the sound most pleasing to you.
Left and right front speakers
The sound from the left and right front speakers should seem to come from the edges of the picture, so that the acoustic image is close to the size of the visual image.
- Place the cube speakers so that they line up with the vertical center of the TV screen.
- Place them up to three feet (one meter) from the edge of the TV screen. We recommend this maximum distance so that the sound does not become separated from the picture. We also suggest that the cubes should be at least six feet (two meters) apart from each other. You may wish to vary this distance based on room conditions and personal preference. The front cables allow the cube speakers to be placed up to 20 feet (6.1 meters) from the Acoustimass® module.
- If your system features cube arrays, direct one cube of each array forward. Direct the other cube toward the wall or in a different direction to create reflected sound. For a system featuring single cube speakers, direct each cube forward (or in a different direction to create reflected sound).
Note: The cube speakers are magnetically shielded so you can place them close to the TV without affecting picture quality.
The sound from the center-channel speaker should appear to come directly from the center of the picture. The center cable allows up to 20 feet (6.1 meters) distance from the Acoustimass module.
- Place the center speaker or cube array directly above or below the center of the TV screen, or at the closest convenient location.
- Align the speaker or array with the front of the TV screen (not pushed to the back of the TV).
- For a single speaker, direct the cube speaker facing forward. For a cube array, direct each of the cubes slightly away from center, to create a wider area of direct sound.
Note: If you put the speakers in a bookcase, be sure to place each one at the front edge of the shelf. Placing speakers in an enclosed space can change the tonal quality of the sound. This effect is minimized if the shelves are filled with books.
The surround (rear) speakers create an area of sound around the listener. Place them in the back half of your room. The speakers should be placed at the listeners' seated ear height or higher. Direct the cubes slightly away from the listeners so that you cannot pinpoint the exact location of the sound source. The surround cables allow up to 50 feet (15.2 meters) distance from the Acoustimass module.
Follow these guidelines to select a location for the Acoustimass module.
Note: To avoid interference with the TV picture, place the Acoustimass module at least two feet (60 centimeters) from the TV.
- Place the Acoustimass module along the same wall or close to the same end of the room as the TV monitor
- Select a convenient location—under a table or behind a sofa, for example. Do not allow furniture or drapes to block the ventilation openings of the module. Be sure there is a gap of at least two inches (five centimeters) between any surface and the front opening or the grille on the bottom
- Place the Acoustimass module within reach of the audio input cable, speaker cables and an AC power (mains) outlet
- Select a position for the Acoustimass module. For proper ventilation, place it on the long edge, with the connectors facing the floor. An alternate position is on its largest side, with the bass and treble controls facing up. Do not place the module on either end
- Once you have selected a position for the module, place the four self-adhesive rubber feet near the corners of the bottom surface. The rubber feet provide increased stability and protection from scratches
- Aim the port (the round or rectangular opening) into the room or along the wall to avoid blocking the air flow or creating too much low-frequency sound
- For best low-frequency performance, do not place the Acoustimass module at equal distances from any two walls, or from a wall and the ceiling
CAUTION: Do not cover the ventilation openings of the Acoustimass module. The slots on the end provide ventilation for the built-in electronic circuitry and should not be blocked. The magnetic field from the Acoustimass module is not an immediate risk to your videotapes, audio tapes and other magnetic media. However, you should not store tapes directly on or near the Acoustimass module.
Lifestyle® media center
Select a convenient location for the Lifestyle® media center and place it on a level surface. Allow enough room to lift the door.
Running the ADAPTiQ audio calibration system
Before beginning, be sure you have positioned the cube speakers and Acoustimass module in the locations where you plan to keep them, and have made all connections. If you move the speakers or Acoustimass module after running the ADAPTiQ audio calibration system, you'll need to re-run the system's second disc.
- Locate the ADAPTiQ system package that came with your Lifestyle® system, including two setup DVDs and a headset
- Begin by playing setup disc 1. It verifies that the system's speakers are connected correctly to ensure complete performance from your system
- Setup disc 2 leads you through the audio calibration process and tailors the sound of your system to the unique acoustics of your listening area
- The special headset takes acoustic measurements for calibration in your listening area. Begin disc 2 and put the headset on when prompted
- If there is currently a device connected to the AUX jack in the back of the Lifestyle® media center, temporarily disconnect it until the ADAPTiQ system setup is complete
- Connect the headset to the AUX jack when prompted
- The audio calibration process should take 5 to 10 minutes to complete. During this time there should not be any other sounds in the room, as they could interfere with the setup